Ross Bonthorne AM
Director of Ross Bonthorne Architect
Ross held the role of Principal Architect within Lend Lease from 1977 with overall responsibility for the Master Planning and the Design of major projects undertaken by Lend Lease Group Companies generally and Bovis Lend Lease specifically until leaving Lend Lease in July 2006. He was a director of Bovis Lend Lease Asia Pacific until April 2009.
Since leaving Lend Lease in July 2006, Ross has continued to work independently and collaboratively on the Master Planning of numerous large scale- mixed-use-urban projects around the globe, specifically in providing sustainable development strategies and conceptual design solutions, matching the scale of those developments to the imperative of a positive human experience. These projects have been in Australia, S E Asia, Singapore, Malaysia, China, and India, and in the Middle East, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, and Oman.
Ross has also been retained to provide strategic and conceptual advice to international organisations and companies such as GIC (Singapore), Suria (Malaysia), Nakheel (Dubai), MAF (Dubai), LLC (Dubai), KFH (Kuwait), AMP (Australia), Laing O’Rourke (Australia), etc.
Ross has played a leading role in many major urban developments including new towns, new city centres and satellite city plans in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane (Australia), as well as similar projects located in Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore,India, the Middle East and the USA. He was appointed the Master Planner for the major US Army Post at Fort Hood Texas; Fort Campbell, Kentucky and worked on submissions for similar projects in the USA and Hawaii. Recently Ross has been an a Advisor to the Melbourne Docklands Redevelopment Project, a board member of the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute and an Advisor to the Australian Research Council (Humanities and Creative Arts Committee), a member of the Auburn Council Design Review Panel as well as serving on various other advisory and consultative committees.
During his time with Lend Lease, Ross led a number of significant town centre and regional centre development projects including at Penrith, Erina Fair & Campbelltown (Sydney), Sunshine Plaza, (Maroochydore, Queensland), Greensborough and Dandenong (Melbourne)and Woden (Canberra). He has also had a major impact on the Sydney city-scape with buildings such as Darling Park, the Nikko Hotel, Darling Harbour, and Aurora Place, and with overall planning for the City as Deputy Lord Mayor of Sydney, Chairman of the Planning and Development Committee, Member of the Central Sydney Planning Committee and representative to the Sydney Cove Redevelopment Authority.
Bachelor of Architecture (Honours) – University of Sydney.
Master in Architecture – Harvard University.
Fellow – Royal Australian Institute of Architects.
Honours & Awards
- AM-Order of Australia for services to Architecture and the planning and
- design of Urban Areas, to the Architectural profession, to Local
- Government, and to the Community – January 2007
- Royal Australian Institute of Architects “Presidents Award for an
- Outstanding Contribution to the Architectural Profession’’ – June 1998
- University of Sydney, Faculty of Architecture, Design and Planning Alumni
- Award for international Achievement in Architecture, Urban Design and
- Numerous project awards from organisations such as RAIA, UDIA, RAPI, LIA, AIA, FABICI, GBCA, etc
- Deputy Lord Mayor & Councillor of Sydney
- Chairman of the Planning and Development Committee Sydney
- Member of the Central Sydney Planning Committee
- Representative to the Sydney Cove Redevelopment Authority.
- Appointed to establish Pittwater Council and elected as a Councillor
- Advisor to the Melbourne Docklands Redevelopment Project,
- Advisor to Melbourne and Olympic Park Trust
- Board member of the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute
- Advisor to the Australian Research Council (Humanities and Creative Arts Committee),
- Member of the Federal Government Taskforce for Building Regulation Reform
- Director of the Biennale of Sydney Limited
- Member of the Auburn Council Design Review Panel